This tag was created by She Loves To Read. While I didn’t have something specific I wanted to write about this week, I thought why not use this as a chance for anyone who reads my blog, to get to know me a bit better.
This already seems like a hard task, because I can never think of anything interesting to say about myself.
- I like animals and the environment more than I like 90% of people
- When I’m in the supermarket and I touch a food, I have to buy it, because I feel bad for it if I don’t.
- This is goin to sound a little cray but when my sister was little and she was being bold after dark, my parents would pop her on the back step of our house (we lived in the countryside) and close the door. A few seconds in the pitch black were enough to put her back in her place. This sounds bad like but, it was rural Ireland in the early 90s! When I got to that age – ~ 2 or 3, my parents tried it with me. Only when they closed the door, there wasn’t the banging on the door and crying to let me back in and I’d be good like my sister did. After a couple of seconds of silence, my parents got worried and opened the door. I was stood there on the back step with my head tilted to the sky looking at the stars in awe. And to this day if I am outside at night I can’t help myself but face only the sky. I can sit outside for hours gazing up there in wonder.
- The movie “Into the Wild” is kind of how I wish my life was – except for the beginning and the end!
- I don’t see myself ever having children or getting married.
2) When is your birthday?
It is the 20th of July. It’s something I hated when I was little. Because it was in the summer, some friends would be on holidays or just not around. Not as much of a fuss is made of a birthday when it’s in the summer I think.
3) What is your favourite colour?
It has to be black. Pretty much the colour of all my clothes and even my bedroom wall used to be black. I love it. Where do our favourite colours come from I wonder? I also love that burnt orange colour, and green isn’t bad.
4) What is your favourite memory?
Now, this is so tough. I don’t know if it’s because there is something wrong with my brain, or because I’ve had such an ordinary life, but I have very few memories. I don’t remember big events from last year never mind over 26 years!
Although no one thing stands out, I’ve been on amazing trips with my friends where we laughed until we nearly puked! And me and Eoghan have had some great adventures – driving from Longford, Ireland to Brighton, England and sleeping in a Ford Focus along the way was great.
This has me so stumped because I’d have hoped some particular memories would jump out at me, I will come back to this!
5) Describe a day in your life
This will be so feckin boring! An average day would be – I normally get out of bed as late as possible, and as a result have to rush around getting ready for work. Sit in traffic, go to work. Sit in traffic, get home from work. After dinner I’ll be on the computer for some blogging/youtube watching and any social media stuff. After that it’s chill time on the couch. Then bed.
However almost every day off is spent off adventuring around the country or doing something fun. I feel as though I can’t waste any days off. Or if I was back home I’d spend my day with my dogs.
Hoping a normal day in my life will look a lot different soon 🙂
6) Name 5 of your favourite songs
Why is it when someone asks your favourite memory, or song, you can’t think. Give me a few minutes 😉 There are so many I found this so hard, but sure here’s five:
- Liquid lies, by two thirds – this song is made up of a speech from Charlie Chaplin’s “the Great Dictator”. I love this song so much and think more people need to listen to it. Take a listen and let me know what you thought in the comments, I’d be so interested to know.
- 99 Red Balloons – this was my favourite song as a child so I have to stick it in here.
- Post Malone – Rich and Sad. This song has got me through some tough times!
- Pretty much any song off My Chemical Romance’s album “Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge”. If I had to pick one – It’s Not A Fashion Statement It’s A Deathwish
- M83 – Outro. How is it humans feel music so deeply?!
- Okay so I have to add in one more. When I’m anxious or down I like to listen to instumental music. “An Alien World” by Dan Romer and Saul Simon MacWilliams is part of the soundtrack for the documentary Chasing Coral. It is such a beautiful song, as is the entire soundtrack.
42% of my music on spotify is acoustic. Maybe that says something, I do love slow depressing music haha. If you wana check out your own spotify stats check out spotify.me, it’s cool to know.
7) If you could only eat 1 thing for the rest of your life what would it be and why?
CARBS. This is the easiest question so far. I would happily eat any type of carbohydrate for the rest of my life – Bread, or potatoes, or rice or pasta. Any carb I’d be happy.
I love warm stodgy food. I like to eat until I feel like I’m fit to burst. This probably explains how I ended up with such terrible stomach problems! Desperately trying to improve my diet.
8) What is something you really dislike?
I really really hate the fact that the majority of people are so unempathetic – is that a word?! People don’t seem to give a shit about something unless it directly effects themselves. They listen to terrible things on the news and think “Well that doesn’t effect me”. On the internet people tear people apart because they find it fun. Did you hear about the little Chihuahua that was taken by seagulls in England? The search got called off because of the abuse the owner was getting online by trolls. Why would anyone be so cruel to someone just looking for their pet? People are rude, selfish, and cruel. Nah not for me.
9) Summer or Winter?
Ohhh another toughie. Although I absolutely loooove winter. Love wearing jumpers and woolly hats. Love Christmas and the family getting together. Love buying meaningful presents and all the fooood. Love cosy movie nights and hot chocolate dates. This would be the clear winner except the face that I do so much more adventuring and activities in the summer. I also love flowers and hearing buzzing bees (sadly much more rare now). For this reason I think I’d have to say summer. Ohh I don’t know. Can it be a tie?!
10) If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live and why?
If I could live everywhere I’d live nowhere. I mean I’d love a nice small cosy house somewhere on the west coast of Ireland. But I’d like to spend the majority of my time travelling around in a car/van/any way and living everywhere. So the West of Ireland, + everywhere else on earth.
11) Name 5 of your favourite films
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople – I fecking love this movie. It’s so heartwarming and funny. “Faulkner is Cauc-asian… well they got that wrong cuz you’re obviously white”. My favourite line in the entire movie.
- The War of the buttons – what Irish person doesn’t like this movie. You have to watch it. Want to know what it’s like growing up in Ireland haha? Based in the 1960s.
- The sandlot Kids – What I imagine life is liking for kids growing up in America. This is also based in the 60’s. it’s such a crazy difference from war of the buttons! See for yourself.
- Dead Poets Society – Funnily enough, set in 1959. I find this movie so inspiring.
- The Martian – I could watch this movie a million times and probably will.
I don’t know what it says about me that the majority of my favorite films are based around the 60s haha.
12) If you won the lottery what would you buy?
If I won big, like really big, I’d buy as much land all over the world as I could and turn it into native woodlands and wildflower meadows. Then I’d ban humans from stepping foot on it!
Then I’d give a load of money to animal charities and shelters. I think there is enough money going to people charities and people forget about the animal and environmental ones. – I sound like such an environmental preachy person in this post haha.
Then if I had enough left over, I’d buy myself an old cottage on the west coast somewhere and turn it into a self-sustaining utopia! And a van to take me all over the world – those new VW campers? Perhaps!
13) Favourite day of the week?
Any day where I’m not working! Just any day spent with friends and family is my favourite day of the week.
14) What 3 things would you take to a desert island with you?
I actually have a zombie apocalypse survival kit (just in case!) so I’d kill it on a desert island i think. But on a less serious note, I’d bring a flare gun, Eoghan so that I have someone to drive insane and not go mad myself, and maybe some way to play music or something.
Actual fuck that, I’d bring a book, some form of listening to music, and a satellite phone for when I’d had enough 😉
15) Sweet or savory?
SAVORY. No question! Always taytos over chocolate. Not a sugar person.
16) Early bird or night owl?
Night owl 100%. I . am . not . a . morning . person. I am puffy eyed and grumpy in the mornins. Get so much energy at night and always have my best ideas after midnight! Find it difficult to sleep because my mind is so active after dark.
17) Name 5 of your favourite books
- The Northern lights books – I know this is a series but I can’t pick just one! Cried for days after finishing this series, it was just too much for me. So good.
- Bad Science – A really educational book about all the bad science out there. I studied Earth Science in University and this was part of one of our modules. So informative – Fuck Big Pharma!!
- The Chalk Man – such a good mystery/thriller book. A childhood game of drawing stick figures with chalk comes back to haunt them 30 years later. “None of us ever agreed on the exact beginning. Was it when we started drawing the chalk figures, or when they started to appear on their own? Was it the terrible accident? Or when they found the first body?”. If you like horror or mystery, give it a read. Gives me chills thinking about it.
- The Martian. I know it’s on my favorite movie list, but the books are always better right?
- The Harry Potter books – I have to include these because I’ve read the entire series over 18 times. I went through a stage in my teenage years where I read them over and over on repeat for years. Weird I know. I could win any Harry Potter quiz!
18) Who do you tag next?
It will have to be EverythingObsessed! And anyone else who wants to do it.
I hope you feel like you know me a bit better.If anyone wants to join in, leave your answers below. I would love to learn more about my readers. If you enjoy reading this blog, why not subscribe – you’ll find the subscribe box in the sidebar on the right – or follow me in Instagram.